Monday, October 10, 2011

All of My 'Stuff'

We are getting a new piece of furniture to replace my current dresser so of course it meant we had to rearrange our bedroom. I knew we had a lot of 'stuff' but I didn't realize how much 'stuff' until we had the floor piled high with stacks of books and the bed loaded down with movable possessions just so we could navigate the pieces of furniture from one side of the room to the other.

I ask myself, why do we have so much 'STUFF'??? How much of this 'STUFF' do I really need or use??? I am reading a book concerning the poverty devastation throughout this world and I am trying to look at my belongings with a new perspective. In gearing up for today's 'Operation Bedroom Clean-out' I have been asking God to lead me to keep only what I truly need. I have considered using the rule 'if I haven't used it in six months then throw it out! Or as I like to do, donate it!

I feel as if I have been purging my house for several years now and 'stuff' keeps reproducing itself. All of this 'stuff' keeps me pre-occupied, laden down and discouraged with its existence. I guess you could liken it to my christian walk, when I am consumed by worry, negative thoughts, and 'keeping up with the Jones's' attitude I spend my time pre-occupied, laden down and discouraged with who I am and who I am not.

It is time to give another HURRAH! to purging my house so that I may expend my energy on what God has for me rather than dreading each day because of the 'stuff' which greets me when I wake up. There is some truth to 'Cleanliness is next to Godliness' because when you don't have earthly belongings weighing you down you free up time and energy to use as God would have you use to assist in His mission for your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment