Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Double Whammy of Reflections

I need to rediscover this blog thing. Too often I find myself 'blogging' in my head while I am in the shower, driving to or from work or I am laying in bed at night rehashing my day in my barely conscience mind. I have the desire, however, I just lack the discipline it takes to sit myself down at a computer and tap out my thoughts onto a white screen. But I am sure I have shared my blogging struggles before so I will spare you the whining.

One good thing of having a birthday in the beginning of the new year is not only have I had to think through the past year because of the start of a new year but I also get to think of the past year of my life and the changes I need to make. I get a double whammy of reflection in the start of the new year.

My motto for the day of my birth was, "It's my birthday and I am not going to do anything I don't want to do." Well that day has slipped through the hour glass and it is now January 13 which means, as I tell my kids, "Sometimes we have to do the things we don't want to do." I now have to put my hand to the plow, sow more seeds and harvest what grows in this next year of my life.

I have spiritual goals, to finish the one year Bible reading schedule I began two years ago, impact the maturity and growth of my kids by being able to humble myself and ask for their forgiveness when I have wronged them, go on a Making Peace With Your Past retreat and be able to move forward from what is holding me back, commit more scripture to memory, have a more sincere prayer life, and a few others I care to withhold between God and me.

I have personal goals of weight loss, exercise, work on my parenting skills, be a more compassionate wife and mother, employment skills growth, journal my thoughts, blog more, read more, watch less television, save more, spend less, get out of debt sooner, eat healthier and I am sure the list could go on. I should stop and write all of these down so that I don't forget what moving forward looks like to my sleep deprived mind at almost 2 am.

The bottom line is I want to change, I need to change some pretty important things in my life. I only go through this life cycle once, I only get one chance to raise my kids and shape their lives, one trip through this life to make memories to cherish so that at the end of my life I can look back and say, "I did my best." There will always be regrets, disappointments, and wishing I could change the decisions I made, after all I have them now and I am not even done living. I just don't want to throw this valuable time away on fancy whims and selfish desires.

I accept the challenge, cherish the opportunity and I brace myself for the ride of my life. With God at my side and His Word in my hands we embark together because, "With God all things are possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment